Adults or children (both boys and girls), who have received their first communion are welcome in this special ministry to serve God and our Parish Community.
In the celebration of the Mass, altar servers have the following responsibilities:
- Entrance: Servers carry the cross, may bear lighted candles, or act as thurifer with burning incense (if incense is used at the Mass), in the entrance procession.
- Servers bring and hold such things as books, thuribles, water and towel, plates, and microphones.
- At the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, servers arrange the corporal, the purificator, the chalice, the pall, and the Missal on the altar,and then assist the priest in receiving the bread and wine and perhaps other gifts that are presented to him. They present the cruets of wine and water for the priest or deacon to pour some into the chalice. When the priest then washes his hands standing at the side of the altar, a server holds the bowl and towel for him.
- Consecration: A server rings a bell when the priest displays the consecrated host and chalice to the people.
- Sign of Peace: The servers receive the sign of peace from the priest within the sanctuary.
- Recessional: The servers accompany the priest as at the entrance procession.